Friday, May 1, 2009

In a Pickle

This morning I needed to go to the LDS distribution center to pick up a few things. I got there 10 minutes before they opened and started unloading the kids. Nixon got put in the Bjorn and then I went to unload the stroller for Logan. So I opened the back of my car and out rolled the huge jar of pickles that I just bought at Sam's Club. Glass, pickles, and pickle juice were smashed all over the ground and me. How embarrassing right?! But no one was there yet, so I put Logan in the stroller and took a paper bag out of my car (that's all I had) and started picking up the mess.

Then a car drove up and I immediately got even more embarrassed. This older man dressed in a suit for work got out of his car and proceeded to help me pick up my pickles and glass. After we got it cleaned up I picked up the bag to throw it away, and since it was paper and the pickles were wet, everything fell out of the bottom. I wanted to die, but the man told me to leave it there and he would pick it up for me.

He asked the workers if they had a broom, dustpan, and trashcan to use and told me to buy my stuff. I bought everything I needed, meanwhile shoppers were lining up, making me feel really bad that he was going to have to wait in a long line. I got out to my car and he was just finishing cleaning up my mess.

So, as I'm thanking this man for helping me, Nixon throws up on me. Of course I didn't noticed it because I was too stressed out. The kind man told me I had throw up all over my leg. I thanked him again and wanted to die.

Keep in mind that I made a very poor decision this morning when I decided to not put on makeup, pulled my hair in a loose ponytail, and threw on some sweatpants and an old CSULB T-shirt.

Just before he walked away he asked me....."Do you need to replace these pickles?" I said I would get some the next time I went to the store. And this is the part that increased my embarrassment. He asked me, "Do you have enough money to replace them?"

I must have looked really bad!!!

I guess I was his service project for the day. Thank goodness for kind people.

10 comments:

Jen said...

How embarrassing! I am giggling a little bit. What a nice man to help you so much. Maybe you should dress like that more often.

Sarah Hull said...

I am crying right now! That is the sweetest/saddest/I feel so bad for you story I have ever heard. Thank goodness for kind/nice/loving people like that man.
p.s. maybe you should have just stayed home today and ordered your items on-line.
p.s.s. Multiple children + errands to run = Sally. Just let me know when you are ready for her number!!!

Braden and Jodee said...

That has to be the best story I've ever heard. Really how nice was he, but really how bad did you want to die! Thank you so so much for sharing!

A Rosie Family said...

I am seriously dying right now! That is one of the best stories ever! Maybe next time you will have to get the pickles in the plastic jar:) Thank goodness for nice people no matter how embarassing it may be at the time!

The Ward Family said...

That was hilarious! Great story. What a kind man.

Amy said...

Stop it right now friend, with these double kid stories. You are killing me...all in the name of a good pickle!

Kevin and Melissa said...

I think you should submit that story to the Ensign.

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh I am SERIOUSLY laughing out loud right now. Not out of crulety for you, but only because I have been there one too many times before. That is so funny. It seems whenever one thing goes wrong it all falls in place for everything else too.

And I LOVE that man for helping you, dont you love kind people, they do still exist!! And I LOVE how he offered you more money for the pickles.....HA HA HA HA still laughing!

Love it!

Hess Fam said...

Thank you for sharing. That was a really good one.

The Gray Family said...

ok that is hilarious (coming from a person that DIDN'T have this experience!). Thank goodness for kind people out there, huh?