Friday, April 11, 2008

First craft exchange

It all started when my friend Sarah posted a blog about car seat covers and wondered if anyone knew how to make them. I probably had no business making one, but decided that I would find a pattern and try to make one for her. She picked out cute fabric and I got to work. I won't share the pattern info because I think it was a bad pattern and had to tweak it so much. It isn't perfect, but I am pretty happy with how it turned out....although I'm sorry that Sarah had to be my guinea pig. As happy as I am that I figured out how to make a car seat cover, I think my sewing machine will retire for awhile! It wasn't a planned craft exchange but Sarah made Logan the cutest scrapbook. Here are a few of my favorite pages (I haven't had time to put pictures in yet).
What a fun craft exchange! If anyone ever wants to do an exchange (maybe not on carseats) let me know!

11 comments:

Melissa said...

You are seriously amazing! I can't believe you can make car seat covers. Absolutely amazing and adorable!

I'd love to do a craft exchange - the only problem is I would have no craft to exchange!! So, I guess it would be more like a purchase instead.

So I wanted to see if you could make me some dishcloth bibs and then I could purchase them from you. Audrey is such an insanely messy eater that I think those are the only bibs that might work and all the ones you can buy are absolutely hideous. Anything you'd be interested in doing? I know it's probably not the fun, motivating craft you were looking for. Sorry.

Sarah Hull said...

I am in LOVE with that car seat cover & looking forward to getting this baby out and putting him in that cute seat!

However, I am so sorry that I am to blame for the retirement of the sewing machine! Everyone having babies is going to hate me now!!!
Glad you liked the paper bag book. Those are sure fun to make... unlike car seat covers with bad patterns! Thanks for being so sweet about it and so willing to do it! You're the best!

Kenny said...

It looks so great! I see you figured out the canopy all by yourself and it looks so professional. Sarah's a lucky girl!

Jill said...

Cute cover! You'll have to post the dress you are making for yourself too. I bought a dress pattern for me but I'm not sure how it's going to turn out... I haven't found fabric yet. Crafting for kids is a lot of fun.

The Ward Family said...

I am very impressed! I love to sew but am not very good at it. I didn't know you were so crafty.

Amy said...

Ohhhhh my goodness. I am going nuts over the cute-ness of those crafts. Truely master-pieces!!!!! You ladies are amazing, I love both of you.

That car seat cover seriously turned out better than the ones you buy. It fits that seat like a glove!

Braden and Jodee said...

You two are seriously awesome :) Both projects are soooo cute!

Kevin and Melissa said...

Look at you! Do you want my purse biz?

Heidi said...

Ok but did you hear that now I am having a boy...so you better bust it out again....

Anne said...

That is so cool that you're doing such crazy patterns! Didn't you just start learning with Ashlie's class? Very impressive. Way to improve your talents! I'm still considering trying to learn!

Natalie said...

Wow, that is the cutest car seat cover I've ever seen. You are amazing.